Agents & Dealers Since 1988
Call us: 01902 791 997

How to Transfer a Number Plate from Vehicle to Vehicle

If you want to transfer your private number plate from one vehicle to another, it’s a fairly straightforward procedure, as long as you follow the correct steps…

How Do You Transfer Your Private Plate?

If you change your car and you want to keep your personalised plate, you can transfer your private number plate from one vehicle to the other. It’s important that you do the transfer before you sell or scrap your old vehicle. If you sell the car with your private registration on the V5C registration document, the new owner of the car will inherit your cherished number plate for free!

If you’re buying a brand-new car and want to transfer your number to it, you need to inform the dealership as soon as possible — before they register the car with a “normal” registration number. They should be able to carry out the transfer for you. For information on that process, click here.

To transfer your number to another car that you own, you will need to fill in a V317 form and send it the DVLA. You should include the V5C certificates for both vehicles. If you don’t yet have the V5C for the new vehicle, you should send a completed V62 and the green “new keeper” slip from the V5C. You will also need to send payment for the £80 transfer fee by cheque, postal order or banker’s draft.

It is now also possible to apply for the transfer on line.

Vehicle Eligibility

You can transfer your number from one vehicle to a car, motorcycle, van, or lorry, as long as both vehicles meet the following criteria.

They must:

  • Be registered in the UK with the DVLA
  • Be able to move under their own power
  • Be of a category that needs an MOT or HGV test certificate
  • Have been taxed or had a SORN in place continuously for the last 5 years
  • Currently be taxed or have a SORN in place

In some cases, the DVLA might request a vehicle inspection, in which case they’ll contact you.

You are not allowed to:

  • Transfer a number beginning with ‘Q’ or ‘NIQ’
  • Put a private plate on a ‘Q’ registered vehicle
  • Use a personalised number that makes a vehicle look newer than it is – e.g. transfer an ‘05’ plate to a 2001 vehicle

If any of these criteria are not met, your application will be rejected.

After Applying

Once you’ve applied to transfer your private plate, the car you’ve moved your number from will usually be reassigned with its original age-related registration number. You will be sent new V5C log books for both vehicles.

You can now attach your personalised plate to your new vehicle and drive it with pride. Don’t forget to notify your insurance company about the change of number.

If you don’t yet have your personalised number plates, contact CarReg which has access to millions of numbers.