Transferring a Registration

If you buy with us we can carry out transfers on your behalf. Just Contact Us for help!

Retention Certificates are ideal if you wish to keep the registration mark without transferring it to a vehicle – for example if you want to keep the registration as a short term investment. Assignment certificates can be obtained in someone else’s name so they are ideal if you want to buy a registration as a gift. Read on to find out what is involved with each of these processes.

Transferring registration marks to a vehicle

Before you can transfer a number plate to a vehicle, you must first have a valid DVLA certificate granting you rights to the registration mark. If you buy through us we will ensure that this is provided as part of the transaction.

There are two different forms which allow you rights to a registration:

Once you have your V750 or V778 certificate you can apply to the DVLA to assign the number plate to a vehicle. Remember you cannot make a vehicle look newer than it actually is! For example “TT51 AUD” can not go onto “Y344 JFD” and “K9 AMR” can not be transferred to “C557 TGB”.

Please Note
: A UK personalised registration number can only be assigned to a vehicle which is licensed (or due to be licensed) and registered in the UK.  It is possible to transfer to a vehicle which is currently SORN, providing the vehicle has had no breaks in the taxation history.    In addition you cannot put a personalised registration number onto a vehicle currently displaying a ‘Q’ number plate.

You can now apply to assign Registration marks online using your V750 or V778 Certificate & V5C (receiving vehicle) Document reference numbers.   The site to do this  is

If you would rather apply by Post to assign the number plate, you must send the DVLA:

  • the completed V750 or V778, signed by the person named at the top of the certificate
  • the Registration Certificate (V5C) OR the new keeper supplement with a completed V62

The DVLA recommend you allow 14 days for the registration certificate (V5C) to be returned to you following your application.    Current address for Cherished Number applications is DVLA, Swansea, SA99 1DS

The vehicle must also be taxed or SORN, although you can submit the appropriate taxation fees and documents along with the assignment request if needed.

Once DVLA confirms the transfer you may then display your new cherished number plates on your vehicle.   The plates themselves, can be purchased from for quality 3D Perspex plates or simply add them to your shopping cart during the checkout for your registration.    We request that orders for plates are not made with plates-posted unless you have purchased the personalised reg mark from us previously.