Agents & Dealers Since 1988
Call us: 01902 791 997

How to Transfer a Number Plate to a Vehicle from a V750 or V778

If you buy a personalised number plate but you don’t want to assign it to a vehicle yet, you will either get a V750 Certificate of Entitlement or a V778 Retention Document. But what are these forms?

What’s the Difference Between a V750 and a V778?

When you buy a personalised or private number plate, it can be easy to confuse the V750 and the V778 forms. The documents are similar and both essentially fulfil the same purpose of allowing you to keep your registration number without assigning it to a vehicle. Here, we’ll explain the two forms and how to transfer the number plate from the documents to a vehicle.

The V750 Certificate of Entitlement

The V750 Certificate of Entitlement is issued to you by the DVLA when you buy a brand-new private registration number plate that has never previously been assigned to a vehicle. The pink A4 sized certificate shows that you are the legal owner of the number plates.

The V778 Retention Document

Looking almost identical, the V778 Retention Document is a green A4 sized form that is issued when a private registration number is transferred from a vehicle, but not yet being assigned to another car. So, it is for number plates that have been assigned to vehicle before.

Both the V750 and V778 are valid for ten years, after which they can be extended for a further ten years at no charge. The DVLA don’t impose a time limit on how long your personalised number is held on one of these certificates.

This is ideal if you have bought a personalised number plate for a child or grandchild and you want to keep it until they get their first car or motorbike.

How to Transfer a Registration Number from a V750 or V778

With a V750 or a V778, you can apply to assign the registration number to a vehicle free of charge online or by post. The vehicle you are transferring your personalised number plate to must meet the following criteria:

  • be registered with the DVLA in the UK
  • be able to move under its own power
  • be of a type that needs an MOT or heavy goods vehicle test certificate
  • have been taxed or had a SORN in place continuously for the past 5 years
  • be currently taxed or have a SORN in place
  • be available for inspection

You can’t assign a number beginning with ‘Q’ or ‘NIQ’, transfer a number to a ‘Q’ registered vehicle, or assign a number that makes a vehicle look newer than it is.

If you buy a used vehicle, you’ll need to wait for a new V5C log book in your name before you apply. If you’re buying a brand-new car, you can give the dealer the V750 or V778 and ask them to apply for you.

The new number will be assigned immediately, so you can put your cherished plates on the car. Don’t forget to tell your insurance company about the change of registration number. You’ll be sent a new log book.

You can find your perfect personalised and private number plates by using the CarReg search feature.