How 2 - Support & Information
This page is to explain the different scenarios in brief to do with Transferring , Buying or Selling a personalised number plate.
Information contained here along with our FAQ’s should provide all you need depending on your situation.
How To - Buy A Private Number Plate
- Decide on an approximate budget.
- Find out what type of private number plates are available for your budget. You can do this online via dealers websites (well established approved dealers have a great choice) You may choose a registration that corresponds with your name, initials, birthdate, ages or interests.
- Select your chosen private number plate, you can buy it online (or you may need to enquire for the agent to verify availability. (CarReg.co.uk offer online discounts and also finance)
- Pay deposit / or in full depending on the Reg type. You will receive a confirmation email. You can choose to hold your new number plate on a government certificate or transfer it directly to your vehicle. Either way, the dealer should help you through the process. If you decide to hold the number, you will receive the certificate with your selected name allocated as nominee.
- If you are purchasing for a gift, all you require is the government V750 (or V778) certificate, which can be given to the recipient.
- Sit back and wait for your document to arrive by post or communication from the agent regarding next steps.
How To - Sell A Number Plate
- Find out what your number plate is worth. (You May already have a figure in mind that you would like to achieve) Try a well established and reputable number plate dealer (look for trade associations).
- The DVLA do not buy or help sell number plates.
- Most dealers will have a section or page for those looking to sell a number plate or a facility to have your registration valued by them. The valuation should be with you within a day or two.
- Once you have your valuation, you can agree for the dealer to sell the number for you on a commission basis (most dealers will only offer an agency basis sale, CarReg.co.uk may offer to buy the number outright, into stock). If the valuation is too low, CarReg will allow you to change the figure (higher/lower). Normally the lower the price, the quicker the number plate will sell.
- Reputable dealers should always be the preferred method when selling, making sure that the transfers are conducted efficiently and payment made upon completion.
How To Transfer a Reg onto a Vehicle
Transfer from one vehicle to another This can be done online also using the DVLA digital service. Firstly you must “retain” (take off) the reg off the current vehicle paying the £80 DVLA fee where you will be then given a confirmation of the Retention Certificate number (which you may later receive by post) Secondly you can assign the same reg to the new (receiving) vehicle at no extra cost.
How to Transfer a registration from a vehicle onto Retention document
Transfer from a motor cycle to car
car to motorcycle
How To Fit Your New Number Plates
Equipment, screwdriver (to remove existing plates) Pair of new number plates with appropriate fixings , which can either be double sided sticky pads , screws with coloured caps (yellow/white for rear/front) or anti-theft fixings which are also widely available.
Preferably fit in dry warm weather or do under cover in a garage. Cloth , Water, Papertowel .