DVLA Registrations

Buying a DVLA Registration: DVLA form “V750″

When you purchase a number plate – either an original, unused, Make Your Own plate; from an auction; or one of our rarer dateless, cherished registrations what do you get?

Like passports and driving licences, registrations (in theory) are owned by the Secretary of State for Transport (a Dept of the British Government). You are actually buying the right to use this plate on a vehicle registered – or about to be registered – and taxed in the UK. For a unissued government stock number plate from DVLA, this right is conferred by DVLA form “V750″. Previously issued registrations (e.g. those from private sales and dateless plates) have the rights to use them assigned by the V778 form.

A “V750″ will show:

*A “nominee” is another person entitled to use the DVLA registration, e.g. if it is intended as a gift

  • the registration number
  • the purchaser and nominee*
  • the date when the right to assign the registration number will end

You can extend the right to assign the DVLA number plate by a further 10 years from whatever date it expires.

Once the registration has been properly assigned to a vehicle it will remain with that vehicle (even if sold) for the vehicles life or until the registered owner applies successfully to transfer or retain the plate, see below.  You can now take a registration off  a vehicle (retain) online using the www.gov.uk website.

Retaining a Registration: DVLA Form “V778″

A V778 cannot be issued for plates starting with “Q” or “NIQ”!

This must be applied for by the registered keeper of the vehicle holding the plate i.e. the seller. This certificate allows the number to be retained against someone else’s name, so the seller can transfer the plate directly to you or to another name if it’s intended as a gift.

As with V750′s for new plates, V778 certificates can be obtained.   These do the same job as a V750 the only difference is if on a V778 it means the registration has been used on a vehicle in its history.   To successfully apply for a V778, the vehicle currently holding the plate must be:

  • registered with the DVLA
  • available for inspection
  • Currently Taxed or SORN for no more than 5 years

V317: Application to transfer or retain a vehicle registration number

If these conditions are met, you can either apply online or send completed form V317 should be sent to the DVLA.  At the time of writing, other documents required by the DVLA in support of a V317 include the vehicle’s registration certificate or new keeper supplement, a completed V62 (“Application for a vehicle registration certificate V5C”), MOT or HGV test document – if applicable – and the appropriate fee. At the time of writing, DVLA retention fees are:

  • £80.00  This then provides you with a V778 Retention Document with 10 year validity.

Please do not worry if this sounds complicated! We can guide you through this process, or complete it on your behalf – Contact Us for more details.