Agents & Dealers Since 1988
Call us: 01902 791 997
How to Update Your Address with DVLA

Why You Should Know How to change your address with DVLA

If you’ve moved, you must know how to change the address on your driving licence. Failing to change the address on your driving licence and supporting documents could land you with a £1,000 fine for each offence.

Moving home is exciting, but it can be a stressful event with many aspects involved - packing, logistics, paperwork. But one thing you must not forget to do is to change your address with the DVLA - Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency. Failing to change your address with the DVLA and on your driving licence and supporting documents could land you with a £1,000 fine for each document that is not updated with the new address.

You don’t have to inform the DVLA if your change of address is temporary, such as living away at university, as long as you can be contacted through your registered address. Otherwise, you just need to follow a simple step-by-step process on how to update your address with DVLA, V5C vehicle log book and, if you pay your vehicle tax by direct debit, your direct debit mandate. If you have personalised number plate documents or a commercial trailer registration certificate, they will also have to be updated.

Updating Your Driving Licence

If you hold a full or provisional driving licence, it is free to change the address and you can continue to drive while you wait for your new licence to arrive.

It is easier and faster to change your address using the DVLA’s online service. To apply, you’ll need your driving licence and to be a resident of Great Britain – drivers in Northern Ireland follow a different process. You must not be disqualified from driving and you have to provide the addresses you’ve lived at for the last three years.

In addition, you’ll need to give your driving licence number and National Insurance number and passport number if you have them.

If you want to change the photo on your licence at the same time, you’ll need to renew your licence.

Updating Your V5C Log Book

Updating your vehicle’s V5C log book with your new address is usually free. You can use the online service which is available from 7am to 8pm, unless:

  • You have already sent the V5C log book to the DVLA
  • You have sold or transferred the vehicle
  • You’ve lost the V5C log book
  • The vehicle is registered as part of the DVLA fleet scheme
  • Your new address is abroad, including the Channel Islands, Isle of Man or Ireland

If you need to change your name and address at the same time, you can only apply by post.

Direct Debit

If you pay your vehicle tax by direct debit, you’ll need to update your direct debit mandate by calling the DVLA on 0300 790 6802. The lines are open Monday to Friday from 8am to 8pm, and Saturdays from 8am to 4pm.

DVLA Number Plates

If you have a personalised number plate that is not currently registered to a vehicle, you should have either a V750 certificate of entitlement or a V778 retention document. You can change the address on a V750 by using your DVLA personalised registration account. Alternatively, on either the V750 or V778, complete the ‘change of address’ and post it to DVLA Personalised Registrations, Swansea, SA99 1DS. Postal applications can take much longer to process.

Don’t have a DVLA number plate yet? With almost 60 million plates available right now, CarReg can help you find the perfect match for your car.


For those asking “how to change address on DVLA”, you’ve come to the right place. Car Reg is a DVLA Certified, family owned business with over 30 years experience, and is UK’s leading recognised reseller of DVLA number plates. We have vast experience with even the most unusual number plates cases, and are confident that you will find our service friendly, fair and agreeable. Thank you for choosing!